Saturday, April 12, 2008

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

The world is FORCING me to make decisions. I know, not monumental in the greater scheme of things but for me, lately, making the decision to get out of bed on any given morning gives me a headache! Decision number ONE - When are we getting another dog. My husband is behind this one. We've been wavering up and down on this one for a while. My DH put the topic on the table for me again this morning as we were running errands. Now, don't get me wrong. I miss our dog Kasey almost as much as I miss my parents. But, I don't miss the training, the feeding, the grooming, the late night and early morning walks and dealing with my MIL and Alexa over their expectations and willingness or more correctly, their unwillingness to take any responsibility for a dog in the house. As usual, when my DH wants something -- I cave...so I told him to go ahead and get the ball rolling.

Decision number TWO - Teaching at the store BSS. Elisabeth, one of our premier scrapbookers and the primary teacher of scrapbook layout classes is moving to New Jersey. While that's another issue altogether, one many of us are very, very sad about, Elisabeth says to me last night, "So, when are you going to start teaching?" Giving her my best innocent, not on this planet, in this lifetime look, I say, "Who me? I'm waiting for Sharon to say something to me!"

After being told it doesn't work that way, and that Sharon, my patient, kind, super understanding and supportive boss -- is waiting for me to say something to her! I shudder. "It's easy," Elisabeth says. Just come up with an idea, show it to Sharon and she'll say yea...or nay! RIGHT! So now the pressure is on. Mind you, I'm the one putting the pressure on myself.

Let's see what other decisions do I have to make. Dinner. This is a brain buster. After 50 some odd years I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't like to cook!
My next challenge is not to feel guilty about it. (I don't like to do housework either which inspired one of my latest stamp purchases "I hate housework. You vacuum, you dust and six months later you have to start all over again.")

Back to dinner. Breakfast is easy - everyone is one their own. Personally, give me a bowl of Cherrios and some blueberries and I'm a happy girl. Better yet, but not for the fatty I'm becoming, a sesame bagel with butter (not toasted). This is as close to Nirvana as it gets for me. Lunch is also relatively easy, if I eat lunch at all. PB&J on white or better yet raisin bread is very yummy. But give me a turkey and swiss on a bagel and I'm really, really good.

Dinner - we're expected to eat together. I don't like to cook, my husband has stomach that goes off like clockwork and insists on being fed. The only time my MIL comes out of her room is to eat dinner with us (and impart the wisdom she's accumluated over the last 70 some-odd years along with updating us on what "they" say on TV. Warning us of the evils of everything from not taking vitamins to useless politicians who never do anything anyway and that's why she doesn't vote!)

Lastly, is our own Chinese empress who eats nothing! No hotdogs, no hamburgers, meat in general is not to be tolerated and vegetables - don't go there, she won't! (I do have a modicum of sympathy for that one, and truth be told, if I put veggies on her plate she will eat them). We also can't eat any ethnic food like Chinese, Mexican, or shellfish because they are too exotic for the MIL and DD (except for the Chinese).

My solution to this decision - my DH cooks! He makes dinner most nights. I do do certain meals, stew, meatballs, baked ziti, chicken divan, etc. But this arrangement works for me, I'm working on not feeling guilty about it, but come to think of it, that's another decision too. I think I'll go back to bed!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

There ISN'T a decision to be made about you teaching at BSS....you HAVE to!!!!!!! You are such a talented scrapper scrapper-er-ton that it would be a waste for you not to share your talents. How's that for sharing an opinion? No seriously, it sounds like such a great opportunity for you to focus on something you have great passion and talent for (and a great excuse for not having to cook because you're sooooooo busy getting ready for your next class!?!) ha! Anyways, I seriously hope you'll consider this as a sign from above that you're being pointed down this path for a reason. And I'll be happy to be your guinea pig if you need one! Honest! Laurie will be home this summer, so maybe we can start getting a "road trip" group together. Best wishes and good luck ! Keep us posted. Lynn