Wednesday, October 3, 2012

50 is the new 30 - NOT!!! Part I

I'm back from my trip to Orlando with my BFF and her family. What a weekend! We got off the plane and drove directly to DisneyWorld and hopped on the Rockin Roller Coaster. Talk about not wasting time! But I digress...

Barbara and I last visited DisneyWorld together approximately 23 years ago. Her Tom was just a baby and Barbara had a medical conference to attend in Orlando at one of the hotels just outside the park in what used to be Buena Vista Village. We flew from our separate homes, hooked up in Pittsburgh and then flew the rest of the way together.

We had a plan. I had one of those guide books that told you the best times and routes to make optimum use of your day and Disney. Well, we opened the park and we closed the park. We mapped out the quickest way to Space Mountain, our go-to ride and we ran when the gates opened so we wouldn't have to wait in line (this is pre Express Pass).  We did all the rides, ate at the German restaurant in Epcot, had drinks served to us in the lobby of the Grand Floridian while we listened to Gershwin being played on a baby grand piano and had our pictures taken with Mickey Mouse! It was wonderful!! However, we were spry 30 somethings back then.

Flash forward to today. We ain't 30 anymore! We're not even 50 anymore! We are creeping inexorably to the big 6-0 and I gotta tella, it's not the years it's the mileage...

We felt no need to open the parks or to close them. We purposely went AFTER school started so we wouldn't be swamped with kids and lines. For the most part this worked out just fine. But they got us in other ways, how do I say this...we're OLD!!

Barb had issues with rides that simulated motion, spun, or threw you around (what's left?) I had issues with the heat. I was game for any ride, except Tower of Terror (I hate drop rides), but I was willing to cowgirl up if Barb wanted to ride it (we didn't). The heat, the heat, the H-E-A-T!!! killed me! My body swelled up like a blow fish. My thick ankles got thicker, my totally straight hair got straighter, my hot flashes got hotter!! Barbara broke her ankle more than several years ago and she still has issues with it and we had to watch the walking. Basically, if the rides didn't kill us, our bodies took their best shot...
This is the entrance to Universal and Hogsmeade of the Harry Potter world. I loved it! I'm a big Harry Potter fan and the village, Hogwarts, the rides were phenomenal!! We ended up doing the ride twice.

I've got lots more photos and a few silly stories but I'm saving them for my next post. For today I want to wish my BFF, Barbara a very happy birthday! We both have birthdays this month, Barb in the front end and me on the back end. This trip was a birthday trip and half with my best friend! Thank you Barbara and Happy Birthday!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great happy birthday post! We had a terrific time... greater than 45 years BFFs and counting...

Barb in NH