Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Observations and Updates

I have some observations and comments about other events and news from the last week or so.

I got an envelope from a former student of mine, Kelly O'Malley Dutton last week and when I opened it look what I found! The beautiful, absolutely adorable, Claire Marie Dutton! I was so excited. Kelly was a work-study in my former office and she was not just a student worker, she became a wonderful friend, and an absolute delight to have in my life. I was honored to attend her wedding and absolutely thrilled to introduce her daughter to world!



Buffalo's Favorite Son...

Tim Russert's sudden passing last week has left Buffalo, western NY and much of the nation in shock. I'm not a political person - verbally. I let my vote do my talking. In this day of biased, left wing vs. right wing political reporters and networks Tim Russert was an example of what a reporter is supposed to be. Someone who challenges our political leaders, someone who does not let his own political bias rule and dictate his reporting. A reporter who demands the truth from our politicians and holds them to task. It is getting harder and harder to find a journalist and/or reporter who is willing to submerge his or her political opinions and personal ambitions and bring to the American people BOTH sides of an issue. The type of reporter and journalist Tim Russert was is what we need in this country more than ever right now.

On a local level, Tim Russert was Buffalo's favorite son. This city has been in mourning since we received the news last Friday. He was loved by Buffalo and he loved Buffalo. The son of a city worker who grew up in the blue collar Irish Catholic neighborhood of south Buffalo, Tim never left his roots behind. He was proud of Buffalo - something many of the city's leaders and citizens today - are not. He announced the opening day line-up via the big screen every year for our AAA baseball club, the Buffalo Bisons. Her returned to the city often to visit his dad, Big Russ and he never turned his back on his roots. He will be missed here as much as he will on Sunday mornings by the rest of the country.


What Fun!

I'm a couch potato that really likes to watch sports - on the couch! I get my love for spectator sports from two people, Jim McKay and my mother. Saturdays we would watch Wide World of Sports. This was way before ESPN. Jim McKay covered everything from ice skating to barrel jumping to the Kentucky Derby to the Indianapolis 500 to Arnie's Army. Many, many weekends I'd sit with my mom and watch WWS on Saturday and then the final round of a golf tournament on Sunday. My mom really liked Arnold Palmer and like me she was the spectator in spectator sports. The most active she ever got was her Monday night bowling league when I was a kid. But thanks to both mom and Jim McKay I watch golf, ice skating, gymnastics, football, baseball, auto racing and the Olympics to name a few.

I had the best time watching the U.S. Open this past weekend and Monday. Watching Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate was a gas! I haven't enjoyed a golf tournament this much in a long time. I'm a big Tiger Woods fan. I think he's the greatest thing to hit golf since Arnold Palmer - my mom's favorite. This weekend was a tour de force of excitement, skill, luck and good sportsmanship.


So, while we say a tearful and thankful goodbye two broadcasting icons, as a nation, life goes on. Welcome Claire Marie.

No comments: